Tuesday, December 29, 2009

December 30th, 2009 – 13 Years


13 Years…

13 Years…

Today marks 13 years since my brother, sister, and I were left motherless, my dad without a wife, my grandmother with one less daughter, my aunt and uncle without their little sister, and the world with one less good person.

In the past, I’ve had long things to say about this and I could spill my heart onto these pages but I grow older every year.  I grow older every year and it always seems different the next time.  It’s been 13 years and I’m 21 now though, so you do the math.  13 years and I’m still surprised there’s so much pain sometimes.  13 years and it still matters everyday.

I know I don’t talk about this a lot and maybe some people reading this now are just learning this about me and my family for the first time.  I can’t explain it though.  And even if I could explain it, I don’t think you’d understand.  That’s not a bad thing though.  Be happy that you can’t understand.  It means you haven’t had to deal with something that I often can’t believe is a reality and that it actually happened to my brother, sister and me.

As I grow older, I’ve come to realize more and more each year that it wasn’t just me that it happened to.  It wasn’t even just my family.  This sort of thing happens everyday unfortunately, and it just matters such.  Even if I’m not talking about it, it’s there.  It matters.  I’ll die never knowing the full extent of the impact.  We all will.

I don’t feel much like going very deep into this tonight.  This is something I may just save for another time or maybe I’ll never post it at all if I do end up writing more.  The message I want to send is simple: be thankful for everyone in your life and don’t take anyone for granted.  Even if it’s just for today, please do this for me.  Let someone know you appreciate them because you won’t always be able to.  Every life matters and everyone is someone important to someone else, even if they’re not that way for you.  I’m serious when I say that I want anyone who reads this to take some time to just forget any adversity you have with someone and just respect them as another living person that is equally deserving of love and respect and everything else as you are.  I don’t think this is too much to ask.

I know it may be hard for some people to imagine where I’m coming from and sadly for others not so much, but I just want something good to come out of this day that has historically been so difficult.  It doesn’t have to be your mother or a relative or anything, just somebody.  Anybody.  Please, I’m not asking a lot.  If you know me at all, care for me at all, or even just happened to wander on here, do this for me.  Actually don’t even do it for.  Do it for yourself or do it for someone else.  How about doing it for Diane Lucille Berry?

Thank you.  I love you all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Son,
I really appreciate your comments about your Mom and the insight that you have gained by knowing her. It was quite an experience that we all went through and are still feeling. I went to Good Sam (Mom's workplace) yesterday and saw the stone in the healing garden that was placed in her memory - DIANE BERRY RN, COMPASSIONATE,JOYFUL,LOVING - is what it said. We'll have to go there sometime.
I want you to know that I am thankful for you and I appreciate you for what and who you are! I am proud of you and I know that your Mom would be equally proud!
Love, DAD ;)

Aunt Pam said...

Hi, Scott,

Just wanted to let you know that I often think of your
Mom...especially at this time of year.

I, too, loved her and miss her very much.

Brenda said...

Scott, this was a great post. You made me cry! I have been sad for you, JJ, Melissa and your dad ever since I met you guys and learned your story. No kid should lose a mom. No husband should lose a wife. My Kaleb reminds me of you in a lot of ways (he is 7). And Isaac is 8 (he reminds me of JJ in his independence! ;), which is the same age you were when your mom passed away. I can't imagine! I can't imagine the emotions she was feeling when she knew she was sick--being a mom--loving her kids (8 is so little! It seems big to an 8 year old--but as an adult & a mom I'm realizing what a little kid an 8 year old is!)....What terrible, terrible pain your mom must have felt knowing that she wouldn't be able to see you guys grow up--and that she wouldn't be able to be a part of your life. I'm sorry, Scott! I am proud of you that even though you feel pain (which is normal), you press on every day and make wise choices. You are a good kid (uh--man!) Scott! Keep it up--and don't be afraid to blog about emotional things or to cry. You are showing great strength!