Tuesday, May 11, 2010


Well I’m not a detective or anything, but I’ve deduced that either this blog’s readership is down to two people (who either make me or themselves or all of us look like alcoholics) or everyone is just shy or apathetic.  I’m not sure which but that whole “questions” thing really backfired.  That won’t stop me though.  That just means I’m writing for my audience of Michael and David.

I guess it’s been a few weeks since I wrote anything on here and I suppose I ought to update things.  Life has been somewhat eventful lately, I guess I could say.  One big change is that the population of our house has completely changed.  Stephanie, the volunteer coordinator person who quit right after doing my orientation has finally moved out and I took her room.  So I’m in a new room which is a little noisier because the sound from the bar’s sound system next door sneaks in better but overall it’s such a better room.  Definitely the nicest room I’ve lived in for a while and I have to admit I’m satisfied if you couldn’t tell.  This new Austrian guy moved in to my old room and I’m not sure about him yet.  We just haven’t clicked or anything but we get along alright I guess.  My Swedish roommate just up and moved out a week ago from Monday without any warning or anything.  She’s lived here for just about 2 years but she kind of got freaked out by some recent events that happened in our neighborhood so she wants a change of scenery.  I guess she was already trying to move out anyway, but that just kind of pushed her over the edge.  When I first moved in two months ago, there were 7 people in the house and I was the only official male tenant but now we’re down to 3 people with only one female.  Probably the most male tenants in this house’s history.  It’s been a bit of a swing, I’ll say.

I’m down to less than a month left at my internship and time is flying fast now.  I plan on changing my airline ticket about the same time that I post this blog and if I do indeed change it to the day I have in mind, then I’ll have less than a month left in this country by this time next week.  The thing about that too is that the couple weeks are going to be spent traveling with my dad visiting so they’ll fly by even faster.  It’s insane to me how fast the days are waning now but you know I’ve been ready for this for a long time now.

I am really excited that my dad is going to come and I mostly just look forward to having someone else witness all of this because I really have not adequately captured the experience within this blog.  Just having someone else be here who can testify a bit to what it is like will be good for my own sanity because I can actual reference things to someone and they’ll bring up memories for him.  I haven’t figured out the exact schedule for our time but I’ve started writing up a rough itinerary, packing list, and basic Kiswahili.  I also took some notes of things to expect, but I’m thinking maybe I should just let everything be fresh and unexpected.  Or maybe I’ll post it on here the day he comes because it’s a good list and I want someone to read it.

I was finally able to get my photos off of my memory card for the first time in three months so I’ll hopefully get some of those posted on facebook for those of you who can look on there.  They include the ones from when I was traveling in between school and my internship and I’m really happy I could finally get them onto my computer without losing them.  I’ve also got some good shots from campus in Dar as well as a few from around here in Arusha.  Check them out when you get the chance.  Maybe look at them and read along with the old post I wrote up about our travels.

Other than that, things are going well here for me except I lost my phone on Saturday and now I kind of have a cold and allergies at the same time or something.  Okay I guess things could be better in those two respects… the phone thing really is quite frustrating.  Still, I can’t say I’m not happy so let’s just say all is well.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm reading!! I just didn't think of any questions...

Anonymous said...

Me too! (still reading/no questions!)

I know it'll be great for your dad to be there with you. I will always cherish the time I had traveling with Mike in Spain.

Looking forward to hearing more detail & seeing more pictures when you get back.

Jan Indermill

Anonymous said...

Hey Scott, as you know, we are always waiting to read what you are up to. Your Dad is also excited about coming to visit you. It should be a real adventure. The two of you are more alike then you think. I'm sure the trip will be very spontaneous. Take care and I'll see you when you get back.
With love and hugs, Teresa

A. Pam said...

Scott...

How has this experience changed you and what are your future plans?

Have a great time in your travels with your Dad!

We are all so very proud of you!

A. Pam

quinnfrances said...

I read this too.