Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Here's how it breaks down right now...

THE KNOWNS
- I have one remaining exam at 8 AM tomorrow morning
- Dylan and I are supposed to be at the train station at noon
- Our ticket takes us to Mbeya
- Someone in Lilongwe will let us couch surf at her place
- I start my internship on March 15th in Arusha

THE PLANS
- We want to get to Malawi
- We want to visit Iringa on the way back to Dar

THE OPTIONS
- We might take a ferry in Lake Nyasa (Lake Malawi)
- We may try to cross into Mozambique (though we don't speak Portuguese) or Zambia
- We have time to kill, who knows

THE UNKNOWNS
- The guidebook describes TAZARA (the rail line we're taking) as one of the most unreliable things in the country... and that's saying something considering the context of this country
- Dates of return or going anywhere
- We've heard that there is no visa fee to get into Malawi - this is mostly why we're going there
- The status of my residence permit will probably technically be illegal next term and I'm not sure what to do about all this
- How often we get internet access
- Countless other things...


So I've got an idea of what comes next and all signs point to adventure.  I've never done anything like this before so we'll see what the outcome is.  I won't have my computer with me, but I'll be journaling by hand for a while and taking photos throughout.

Cheers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like an adventure! Have fun and be smart! I know that you will.
Love, DAD ;)